Suggest treatment for dry mouth and back pain

Posted on Wed, 3 Sep 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I occasionally get food (broccoli or dry meat stuck in my esophagus when I swallow. At the time I also experience mid back pain. It occurs more often if these are the first bitest that I take. I also have a dry mouth. I am 61 yrs old & overweight. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you need an upper GI endoscopy

Detailed Answer:
I have read your problem.

I would suggest that you visit your doctor. I advise that you under go upper GI series or even an upper GI endoscopy to find the cause of the food sticking in the esophagus. We need to find if it is a mechanical narrowing of the esophagus or abnormal motility which is causing the symptoms. After than we can begin the appropriate treatment.

Hope this helps. Do get back if you have any queries

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Samir Patil

Gastroenterologist