Suggest treatment for dry eyes

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My Mother had cataract eye surgery last year march. Multi-focal lens has been placed in this surgery, now everything is fine for her, but sometimes she gets eye burning sensation often.
Kindly, Suggest me tips for this.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dry eye most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Good evening,
Have gone through your details and appreciate your concern.
Most likely its because of either DRY eye or Allergy or bacterial infection.
However as per your symptoms most likely its dry eye.Dry eye is very common after cataract surgery.Symptoms of dry eyes vary from person to person and usually waxe and wane. Symptoms include foreign body sensation, tearing, stinging, burning, light sensitivity and sharp pain. In my experience dry eyes peaks at about 6-8 months after cataract surgery.
As there is no reddening associated with eye chances of it being Bacterial or allergy are fairly low.
I would suggest her to use Antihistamine eye drops(ketotifen).They are formulated to treat itching due to allergies.It works by reducing histamine in the eye tissues.
Along with use (hydroxypropylmethylcellulose), Tearsol three times a day they will keep the eye moist and will provide relief in burning.

However a swab test should be done to rule out bacterial infection of eye.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Thank You for your advice sir....
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your welcome.

Detailed Answer:
your welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj