Suggest treatment for dry eyes

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi,

I around one year back i had dry eyes, and after suggestions from doctor. I used a lubricant for 1 month. Since then i have been taking breaks during computer usage. However there is no much improvement, is there any permanent solution to this problem. Like by using a medication or some kind of exercise?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can go for punctal plugs.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having dry eyes and this is increasing with the use of lubricating eye stops.

Dry eyes are one of the commonest eye problems and first line of treatment is by use of lubricating eye drops called as artificial tears to keep the eyes moist.
Use of computers is known to increase dryness and it is called as computer vision syndrome.
The treatment is by use of artificial tears and avoiding continuous use of computers by taking frequent breaks in between. After working for 1-2 hours you need to take break for about 5 minutes. Along with this use of air conditioners or exposure to wind which make eye dry should be avoided.

If the symptoms are not decreasing you can go for punctal plugs to occlude the lacrimal punctum to prevent drainage of tears from the eye and keep the eyes moist.

Hence I can advice you to go for punctal plugs if the symptoms are not responding to treatment by use of lubricating eye drops.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards