Suggest treatment for dry cough with pain

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi , i have had really bad cold symptoms all last week then on friday my dry cough turned nasty giving me very sharp pain every time i cough, it is now monday and things haven't changed much except that i can smell an ammonia smell
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need to see doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Sharp pain in the chest while coughing is frequently due to a fractured rib. Rarely it can be due to inflammation of the pleura that covers your lungs.

I would definitely suggest you to see a doctor to rule out a fractured rib and also a lower respiratory tract infection.

The ammonia smell is due to cold that you had. In colds that are caused by viral infections the olfactory (smelling) memebrane can get damaged leading to abnormal perception of smells. Do not worry about it, in time you will be able to smell normally.

Till you see a doctor, follow some general measures like-
1) Drink lots of warm fluids.
2) Give your voice some rest.
3) Do steam inhalation and warm salt water gargling.
4) Get plenty of rest.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.