Suggest treatment for dry cough while having histoplasmosis

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I think I might have Histoplasmosis as I have been living the past 25 years in Costa Rica. I have had a dry cough now for several years. It doesn't go away. worse at different times. off and on I feel tired, I am a high energy person.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a rare possibility, need to rule out the common causes first

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Health Care Magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, it seems less likely to be histoplasmosis as by just based on the country you live in we can't narrow down the diagnosis as without prolonged exposure to birds as pets and bats it can't be the first possibility for recurrent persistent cough.

Normal chest X-ray also goes against it though it can be normal in few individuals who have active histoplasmosis, and can be most likely incompletely cured chest or throat infection, but if you still want to be reassured than antibody detection test in blood or urine or skin sensitivity test can be performed.

Meanwhile start treating the chest infection or acute bronchitis with antibiotics like Co-Amoxyclav (Augmentin)625 mg twice daily or Azithromycin 500 mg once daily for 10 days along with anti histamines like Ceitrizine 5 mg or Loratidine 10 mg Once Daily at bedtime. Keep using the nebulization of Ipratropium and Salbutamol if any wheeze or shortness of breath kicks in. Steam inhalations will also be helpful.

If infection doesn't resolve I would urge you to get it reviewed by a pulmonologist and next resort would be Bronchosccpy and sending bronchial secretions for microscopy and culture and sensitivity as it would almost confirm the actual diagnosis and targeted therapy will be started without any further delay.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee