Suggest treatment for dry cough, stuffy nose and mild fever in an elderly person

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am 50yrs male have dry cough, itchy/red throat and stuffy nose. I have mild fever and am taking Dolo. Also started Moxikind - CV, bds. pls advice cough syrup and if meds ok. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be viral illness.

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having dry cough with stuffy nose.

As per your clinical details, it appears to be viral illness.

Viral illness is self limiting, needs simple dolo with over the counter ( citrizin- (brand name zyncet- best works for dry cough and stuffy nose) sufficient to solve your issues. In case of persistence, antibiotics needed to counter the complications.

In my opinion, you can continue same antibiotic maxikind-cv ( you have already started, good for infections) three times daily for 5- 7 days. With that, do steam inhalation twice daily, dolo twice daily and zyncet ( once daily).

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad