Suggest treatment for dry cough in infant

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi. My infant daughter of 2 months has been coughing since last night. She doesn't have fever. Her coughing is dry and we don't see any mucus. What can be done?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nasal drops, burping, antihistamine drops

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome to the HCM

Most likely reasons for night coughs which are dry and not associated with mucus in this age group are viral illness, allergic coughs, post nasal drip or gastric reflux.

I would recommend you the following measures to help her out:
1. Burp her for 3-5 minutes after feeds even at night and keep head end of bassinet slightly at higher level. This will help in mild gastric reflexes which might be causing cough bouts.
2. Use normal saline nasal drops 4-6 times a day if she has nasal congestion or noisy breathing.
3. Use a room humidifier while sleeping if the weather is dry.
4. You may start her on Maxtra or T minic drops if the above measures do not relieve her cough. I recommend my patients of this age to take 0.5 ml thrice daily. It contains antihistamine which help in relieving viral or allergic coughs.
5. Visit a pediatrician if she has persistent fast breathing (>50/min), high fever spikes, lethargy and poor feeding.

Ensure regular feeds to keep her well hydrated.

Hopefully this will be of help. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.