Suggest treatment for dry cough, fatigue, body pain and general fatigue

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: dry cough, fatigue, achy body, no fever, general fatigue, about 3 days, coughing less now but have coughed so much my stomach is sore, taking aleve and aspirin, 62 yr old male
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

This may be a cold (viral upper respiratory infection) or it may be a mild case of the flu (influenza) which is circulating in the US now. Usually flu gives a cough, fever, body aches, chills, fatigue, but perhaps your body was able to keep from getting a fever, orin you have been taking Aleve and aspirin, they may have kept you from seeing the fever.

So what to do about the abdominal muscle wall pain from coughing: If the coughing is continuing to persist, you can go to an urgent care clinic where they can prescribe either guaifenesin with codeine (codeine is an excellent cough suppressant) or benzonatate, which is a non-narcotic cough suppressant. Both are controlled medications so they would not be prescribed anywhere online.

If the pain is actually in your stomach rather than abdominal muscles, it may be stomach lining irritation from the Aleve and aspirin which can cause gastric irritation. In that case, stop them, switch to Tylenol, and consider taking Zantac 150 mg twice a day (over the counter) to heal the stomach.

You say it is a dry cough so I assume no purulent sputum, but if you have diabetes, are a smoker, asthma, or other things that can compromised your immune system or respiratory system, then I recommend going in to the urgent care to get an exam and chest X-ray. Otherwise, you can weather this out at home.

Rest and fluids are very important right now.

If you have post nasal drainage down your throat that is causing an irritated cough, consider taking (also over the counter) a nasal steroid such as Flonase to stabilize the sinus mucus membranes.

I hope you are feeling better soon.