• question-icon

Suggest treatment for dry cough and runny nose

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doc, My son who is 26 months of age is coughing since yesterday. He also had running nose and cough yrsterday. It seems like a dry cough today. He was coughing a lot yesterday night. Can you please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be a viral upper respiratory tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi... by what you say this looks like a viral upper respiratory infection. Usually this starts with low grade to high grade fever of 1 or 2 days which might have gone unnoticed and ultimately cough prevails for 3 to 4 days. But unless the child is having fast breathing and respiratory distress and inability to speak or eat you need not worry about the cough.

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cough and cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do.

For fever - Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (max ceiling dose 500mg) every 4-6th hourly, that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

For cough and cold, you can use Cetrizine at 0.25mg/kg/dose every 12 hourly for 3 days.

For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology