Suggest treatment for dry cough and nasal congestion in an infant

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 10 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: hi
my four months old son has a little nose congestion and was having dry cough many times at night,was seen sneezing a few times in the evening as well. My five year old daughter is also having cold and cough for a few days. She is getting better, but the baby seems to have caught it.

The baby is exclisively breastfed. He was fed as usual at night,even though he was at times irritated with congestion in nose. He weighed 2.9 kg at birth. A couple of weeks ago, he weighed 6kg. He is not having any fever.

could you please suggest medicines for the baby?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Viral cold in n infant

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in "Ask A Doctor".

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do.

For cold you can use Cetrizine at 0.25mg/kg/dose every 12 hourly for 3 days.

For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.

For fever, Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (max ceiling dose 500mg) every 4-6th hourly, that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

But Cetrizen is a prescription drug and you will require a doctor's prescription for it.

Please get back to me if you have any further queries.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani