Suggest treatment for dry cough and fever

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I am a woman age 57. My husband had a bacterial infection (throat, fever, chest congestion) and his doctor prescribed Z pack antibiotic. He no longer has fever, but still coughs. Now I'm running temp of 101.1 and have a dry cough, but no congestion. I am on day 3 of the fever. Should I get an antibiotic, too?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, your fever plus exposure to your husband calls for antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. With the given fact that your husband hand a bacterial infection (most probably an upper respiratory tract infection), for which the Z-pack is most suitable.

I would also recommend antibiotics for you not only because you have most likely contracted the infection from your husband, but also because you have already developed a temperature of 101.1 which means the bacteria has already made an impact on your immunity.

I hope you can manage to get the Z-pack at the earliest and initiate a course for yourself. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.