Suggest treatment for dry cough and cold

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Aug 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hey doctor,

I have been sick since Saturday last week which were normal cold symptons throughout the week. In the last 2 days though I have started to develop this cough that is progressivly getting worse with it first starting as a irritated dry cough that is now more wet and mucus filled in nature. How long do these phlemghy coughs usually last and what can I do or take to treat it? It sometimes gets quite bad that I can't talk as it feels like my entire lungs are full of phlemgh almost feels like I can't breathe and have to try to quickly clear it. I haven't been able to cough any of it up as of yet but have had some come up into my mouth which I expelled into a tissue. Should I visit a doctor about it?

Kind Regards,
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HealthcareMagic.

I can understand your concern

As you explain the history i think that you should see a doctor and he/se would probably recommend you to do some tests as follows :

Chest X Ray
CRP
Hemogram

If they come positive than you should start treatment with antibiotics (like Azitromicini once) and ,mucolitics .

If not then only mucolitics are needed and paracetamol too .

Or you can attach me the above results and we will decide further for the proper treatment.

Take care and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 29 hours later
Hey doctor,

Just an update I am seeing the doctor later on today, but I have started to develop this sharp pain in the upper left side of my back. Could this be possibly a pulled muscle from the coughing? Also can you tame bromhexine hydrochloride for loosening chest wax with cold and flu tablets that contain Pandol, Codeine, phenylephrine, and in the night version and anti histmaine or do they need to be taken apart from each by a certain number of hours?

Kind Regards,
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes it might be from muscle contraction due to the cough this pain.

Usually we recommend bromhexine twice per day,antihistamines before sleeping at night once.

We don't recommend codeine use as it is a cough suppressant and in wet cough its not reccommended.

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 24 minutes later
Would it be safe for me to take one of the night cold and flu tablets that I have attached in the picture? I had a Bromhexine tablet about 7 hours ago now would that interact with it?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes you can take them safely don't worry, they don't have side effects taken together because they are symptomatics mainly.

Dr.Jolanda
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 35 hours later
One thing thag I forgot to ask how long do these chesty coughs usually last? I went to the doctor and he said just to rest for now and see how it goes. I've also attached some images of the type of phlegm that I have coughed up so you can gauge how bad it is.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I saw the attached pictures.

I reccommend you to wait for up to one week.If the situation gets better than continue the current treatment if not than antibiotics should be add in thw treatment.

The sputum is colored in yellow and we expect to be watery or white.

Keep monitoring the situation

Dr.Jolanda