Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for drug-induced constipation

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
Repeated question Best way to deal with constipation from LORTAB OR TRAMADOL.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No antidote to nullify drug-induced constipation Detailed Answer: Hi Ma'am, Thanks for your query. There is no antidote to nullify drug-induced constipation. Constipation will persist as long as the referred drugs are taken. Hence, standard/conventional treatment is required to relieve constipation. The safest way is to initially take a purgative (such as Lactulose or Liquid Paraffin syrup) till the bowels are clear and, thereafter; daily intake of Psyllium Husk/powder once or twice a day, will maintain bowel movements. Psyllium husk/powder is the safest way to overcome drugs-induced constipation. In addition, precautions that need to taken are :- liberal water intake daily and, high fiber diet consisting of lots of green leafy vegetables. Your doctor will prescribe the advised medication in appropriate doses. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor