Suggest treatment for drowsiness after taking cough syrup

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hi

I have an addiction to over the counter benylin drowsy cough syrup to help me relax and sleep at night. It is really having an effect on me where I struggle to get out of bed the next day or anything for that matter. I take it an hour before going to bed generally about 75ml as I can never sleep. I have being
taking it for approx 8 years now and just want my energy and life back i would love to have some guidance / program for getting of this. I have good health insurance and could do something as an out patient I think I would struggle going into a hospital or psychiatric unit to address the issue

I look forward to hearing from you
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They are suggesting right

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Before tackling the addiction we need to deal the underlying cause and maintaining factors for current addiction. From your description it is clear that sleep problem is one which is making you to continue addiction despite strong willingness.

I mean to say that without tackling sleep every effort will be futile to quit cough syrup which contains antihistamines which make you sleep and relax.

So with antidepressant they probably mean something to manage sleep so you can stop your current addiction.

I understand your fear about another addiction but please not it can be lowered down slowly over a period of time without any significant difficulties.

I hope this helps you.
Thanks and regards.