question-icon

Suggest treatment for drooping lip and muscle cramps in lower leg at night

Posted on Mon, 10 Aug 2015
Question: 58 years old. woke up last night at 4 am, with a muscle cramp in my lower back leg muscle.( right leg ) took about 10 min. for it to go away. this morning lower back muscle leg ( right ) is a little sore from cramping. my lips (mouth) seem to be drooping down to the right. would this be caused from a stroke ?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Neurological exam to elicit the possibility of stroke

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

The lip/mouth drooping is one of the possible signs of a stroke. However , it can also be secondary to a local cause such as dental work or damage to facial nerve, facial palsy etc. You need to have a neurological exam done to look for spasticity/weakness or flaccidity in the lower limbs, facial weakness, eye drooping and other factors such as hypertension, hyperlipidemia, previous TIAs ( Transient ischemic attacks). A CT or MRI can be advised to confirm or rule out the possibility of a stroke in light of the neurological exam findings.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil