• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for double vision post ectropion surgery in left eye

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I am a 70 year man. who was born with congential ptotis. I was having a discharge on my left eye and droopy lower eye lids. I was referred to a ophthalmologist (Dr Tao with Uci in XXXXXXX Ca. On Oct 9th 2015 Dr Tao did a ectropion surgery on me. Recovery was bad and Oct 22th 2015 between 8/am and 9am I developed double vision when I move my eyes to the left.basically I saw double when I looked to the left with my eyes. Dr. Tao suggested give it time and it will correct its self. I waited several months. No improvement. I was referred to a Nuero-ophthalnogist (Dr Boisvert also at UCI) After her examination of me and concurring with Dr Tao The two agreed that my double vision was cause by scar tissue of the right eye. So I had surgery on March 18th to remove scar tissue. Two days after surgery I discovered I now have double to the left and right its awful. Dr. Boisvert saids the second surgery more time to heal. I've lost all confidence in these two drs. The double double vision has really messed my life up. Dr have you heard of a similar condition and can you advise me on what to do next
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Conservative management.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is a surgical complication which has to be corrected surgically. We can offer you some palliative treatment, which we offer to our patients who come to us with similar issues due to medical or surgical reasons.
What we can offer is, cut a paper to size of glass piece of your spectacle and stick it under the glass with glue.Then put your glass on and double vision will become single.Whenever you wish just wash it under tap and glass will be restored to original form.
Continue with management,till your condition is treated.
This occlusion can be done of other eye after a while.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Take care,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 7 hours later
Thank you for your quick response. I understand the covering of the one eye routine. But my question was more directed at having a second operation and the outcome making it a worse condition now. So just to be clear you think that now I need a third operation too correct the double double vision that I now have. Like I said I've loss confidence in these two drs. I live in Orange county Cal. Any recommendations on how to fine a better dr.
Thanks again XXXXXXX XXXXX
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Expert surgeon needed

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for getting back to us.

This surgery is not a routine surgery.There is a team of doctors and technicians needed to work you up for preparation for surgery. This will be handled by people trained in dealing with complicated squint surgery. The orthoptist has to examine in great detail to guide the surgeon to the amount of surgery to be done on each muscle involved.

We in our practice counsel the patients about the second stage surgery requirement.

So you need to look for a Squint surgeon,with a Orthoptic department attached, as post operative exercises are also needed.

Any further query in this, please do get back to me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. N. K. Misra


Practicing since :1977

Answered : 1263 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Ectropion

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, I forgot to take the pill last week. In the following day I took two pills and am taking antibiotic for amigdalitis. Today, I lost...

doctor1 MD

I had ectropion surgery Oct 9 I was born with congential Ptosis . I'm not sure if things are healing correctly my appearance is horrible I feel...

doctor1 MD

Cervica; ectropion Q : I have a cervical ectropy which causes excessive amount of bleeding between periods. I have had numerous tests and am told...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. N. K. Misra
  • Q - Plaquenil,vitreous detachment.Side effect?

  • Q - How is eye infection in diabetics treated ?

  • Q - Optic atrophy, uveitis. Curable?

  • Q - Does cannabis have any side effect causing retina tear ?

  • Q - Can driving, swimming, flight journey and involve in sex, 10 days after...

  • Q - What are the brown patches in my eye after being hit by a soccer ball?

  • Q - Green discharge from eye, red eye, unable to open eyelid. Causes ?

  • Q - How is hypermetropia in children treated ?

  • Q - Eye pain, taken artificial tears, wear CPAP mask, have type 2 diabetes,...

  • Q - Congenital cataract in both eyes, signs of squint. First squint surgery...