Suggest treatment for dizziness, loss of appetite and abnormal vaginal discharge

Posted on Wed, 8 Apr 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I have symptoms like dizziness, loss of appetite, diarrhea, missed period (two days late), fatigue and chills, as well as abnormal vaginal discharge. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy should be ruled out...

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the question. First, it would be important to know if you are sexually active and if so, have you checked a pregnancy test?

Dr. Raichle
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 14 minutes later
I have not been sexually active since December, but I have had 14 sexual partners (in my lifetime) and I haven't gotten tested for STDs more than 6 months. Can STDs be a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
STD is possible

Detailed Answer:
Given that you have had a significant number of prior partners, STD's are possible given the abnormal discharge and how you feel. Here is what you need to do:

1. You need to be seen by a doctor in person
2. You need to ask for testing for STD's that would include a swab of your cervix for gonorrhea and chlamydia, as well as blood tests for HIV, hepatitis and syphilis (these are standard STD labs)
3. You need them to check a pregnancy test
4. You need them to check a CBC to rule out anemia

It is possible that you are just sick with a GI illness, and this stress can lead to a delay in your cycle. But, given the risk of missing something important like an STD, especially before you are sexually active again, you need to be seen and evaluated. The benefit of my answer is that you have a framework for questions and expectations

Dr. Raichle
Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN