Suggest treatment for dizziness, blurred vision and altered taste in the mouth

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 28 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Whenever I stand up, I get very dizzy, my vision goes blurry and there is a funny taste in my mouth and my heart beat thumps very loudly in my ears.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may be dehydrated or NOT

Detailed Answer:
You may be describing a condition known as ORTHOSTATIC HYPOTENSION. This is what happens when a person goes from a lying or seated position to standing and blood pressure drops without a compensatory reaction which generally we do not feel because our autonomic systems are geared in such a way so that we can change positions without noticing those kinds of changes.

But if something happens to interfere with the normal regulation of these systems such as a traumatic head injury, taking of medications that specifically block heart rate or themselves can lower blood pressure (such as EFFEXOR which I see you are taking; perhaps you just started taking this medication or it was just raised?), problems with hormones such as thyroxine, cortisol, insulin, or dehydration/significant dieting or loss of weight then, the picture you're describing can happen.

What you need to do is get ORTHOSTATIC BLOOD PRESSURES checked by a nurse or doctor who knows about these sorts of potential issues and can take the proper readings....I recommend the AMINOFF PROTOCOL which will then, provide information that will allow an intervention to be planned or even more testing to occur.

If I've satisfactorily addressed your questions could you do me the kindest of favors by CLOSING THIS QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback on your opinion as to our transaction?

Many thanks for posing your question to our attention on this network and do not forget to recontact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 22 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.