Suggest treatment for dizziness and sleep apnea when diagnosed with vestibular migraine

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I'm experiencing pressure in my head and face at night while laying down to try and sleep. My tongue always feels like it's going numb and I've been experiencing lightheadedness and dizziness in the day and sometimes when I lay down at night. I've been diagnosed with vestibular migraine, but I think the root cause happens to me at night. I've had two reports that show I have sleep apnea and the latest one says I don't? I wake up not rested and with headache and pressure in my head, one side of my sinus always stopped up. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be related to increased intracranial pressure!

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM and thanks for the consult here at my virtual clinic. I appreciate your health concerns and genuine issues of headache, lightheadedness and dizziness.

It seems to be related to increased intracranial pressure which worsens during recumbency and during sleep (mainly due to increased intracranial blood volume). You need to consult a Neurologist for evaluation and management of the same. Physical examination and diagnostic evaluation is needed here.

Contributing factors to these symptoms are related to your sleep apnea syndrome. You need to keep a follow up with your Sleep Apnea Specialist / Pulmonlogist especially in perspective to the latest report you mentioned that says you don't have sleep apnea. But clinically your symptoms all go to the affirmation of positive diagnosis.

Clogged nostril/sinuses may be due to inflammation of the paranasal sinuses or benign (due to flushing and raised blood flow to the sinuses mucosa especially in early morning). If needed your Neurologist may refer you to an ENT Specialist.

Hope it helps. Feel free to ask more if you have further queries. I will be happy to assist. My direct and fast acting link is: tinyurl.com/drhanifmd

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Muhammad Hanif