Suggest treatment for dizziness and rapid heart rate

Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Jan 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: About a month ago, I started having dizziness and rapid heart rate. My symptoms have progressed with nerve burning, which has subsided for the most part, increased dizziness, heart rate that increases when sitting or standing, severe palpitations waking me up and causing shaking, and starting yesterday I developed bulging temporal arteries. Today they are worse and I have a fever of 101.
I went to the ER and then shined a light in my eyes and said I wasn't at risk for stroke. Even though my MPV is high and I have bulging temporal arteries. They didn't even take my temperature and I said I felt like I had a fever and my husband agreed. I'm very worried that on top of the other symptoms I'm having something might happen to me.
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Full cardiac work-up

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question. I understand your concerns. Welcome to HCM.

First, let us say that a fever of 101 degrees Fahrenheit is not related to the other symptoms that started one month ago. It may be there and it may be indicative of an infectious process going on in your organism this day or the previous two days.

You are young and age 30-years old places you in the group of people that may have these symptoms with an anxious or psychological etiology. Fast heart rate, waking up with palpitations and dizziness (if it happens while the other changes to your heart rate happen) are all related to the spike of adrenalin levels in the system, which is a characteristic of anxiety or fear (situational anxiety). Also, adrenalin levels rise during the rapid eye movement (REM) phase of sleep (the phase when all the people have dreams). Also, whenever a person is in distress, there may be "pounding" of the obvious arteries, such as temporal arteries, due to stress-induced elevation of the blood pressure.

Although I think this is the case, first we have to check-up the organic etiologies first. Therefore, I would recommend a check-up for the heart as an origin of the problems, and this recommendation is only because we want to rule out heart as an origin of your symptoms:
- an EKG, to evaluate the electrical and conduction systems of the heart, to see if there is any parameter that makes you prone to an arrhythmia.
- an echo cardiogram - to assess all structures of the heart, its chambers and valves, by means of motility, structure and function
- if seen reasonable from the first two tests, a cardiac stress test, to assess the physical burden handling by the heart.

I hope my answer is helpful. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up questions.

Best regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Meriton Siqeca 1 hour later
Thank you for answering, doctor. When I first started the symptoms, my cardiologist put me on a 24hr holter monitor. It only showed a skip beat, although my heart rate was not as high as it is now. I had an echo done and he reconfirmed the MVP he found last year.
Something else that has happened since getting sick last month is my bilirubin is elevated on various occasions. Today's test being the highest at 2.4. I am to see a liver specialist this week. I have not really been able to eat due to increased heart rate when sitting up, and also hot flushes in my stomach and chest. My appetite has diminished since getting sick and I've been dehydrated. I was told this is the reason for my high RBC, Hemoglobin, and Hemotocrit. I have multiple symptoms happening that I was told seem to be neurological, as well.
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MVP not relevant; should look into bilirubin levels

Detailed Answer:
Hi again and welcome back.

Not at all, I am happy I was helpful.

I also had a look and analyzed your attached reports. Now, the mitral valve prolapse is found in 16% of world population and remains "silent" until the sixth or seventh decade of life. I suppose it only produces a trivial mitral regurgitation at this time, so nothing to be worried about.

It is good news that you will consult a hepatologist regarding your bilirubin levels, because it is twice the norm. Probably, you will start with an abdominal echography, and then proceed with more specific tests, as seen fit.

Indeed, dehydration is almost inherently related to the high red blood cell count and, especially, the hematocrit levels, so try to stay hydrated.

I hope my follow-up is helpful. If you do not further questions, close the discussion and rate the answer.

All the best,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng