Suggest treatment for dizziness and pressure in the ears

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, just yesterday I started feeling dizzy with some pressure above my ears on both sides. My family moved to the central valley of CA. a couple years ago and my wife and I both have experienced allergy symptoms that we've not had before, like pressure in the head and some dizziness, but what I'm feeling now seems a bit more intense I suppose you could say. My blood pressure's been running around 135/85 which I know is a bit high. I'm not on any medication.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Barotrauma most likely

Detailed Answer:
Dar Sir, I have gone through your question and I can understand your concerns.

It seems that you are suffering from ear barotrauma which is due to Eustachian tube blockage. Symptoms include a sense of ear fullness or stuffiness, dizziness, slight difficulty in hearing...

This can be diagnosed by otoscope examination of the ear and is treated by an antihistaminic (eg. Cetirizine) taken once daily before going to bed and a decongestant (you may continue taking Phenylephrine for the time being). If by examination, inflammation or infection of ear drum was found, then an anti-inflammatory steroid medication or an antibiotic should be used.

I hope I answered your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee