Suggest treatment for dizziness and hearing loss post ear injury

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 1I had my eardrum tear last night, the discharge is a pale pink/red color & a bit of pale/light yellow pus. However, this is the latest in about 3 month long sinus infections I have a hole in my nasal , respiratory infections, wheezing, thick phlegm (yellow brown color,.... I quit smoking over 6 months ago but live with a chain smoker), now my seasonal allergies are starting to aggravate everything again, the torn eardrum has left me with dizziness whether I sit, lay down, turn my head at all. How long can this last? Will my hearing loss subside? When can I expect my equilibrium to balance out? Do I need to go to an urgent Care clinic? I work in a therapeutic drug treatment private boarding school directly in contact with our clients, I need to make sure I don't go back too early or go back to spread more germs...... I religiously wash my hands, arms, face too. I have a compromised immune system due to past Community based MRSA colonization & I had an intense MRSA lesion last year that took over 6 months of treatments to close the wound. A lot of info I know but I know most anything I go for medical evaluations they need to know about these issues.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute suppurative otitis media...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query and an elaborate history

1. The blood tinged discharge is secondary to the infection in the middle ear following sinusitis. The ear drum has ruptured, letting out all the trapped secretions in the middle ear. The toxins that gets accumulated in the middle ear can lead to temporary ear block and if its seeps into the inner ear it can cause dizziness. Unless, the Eustachian tube (tube connecting the nose and the ear) does not open up, your symptoms will never subside.

2. You would require antibiotics, nasal decongestants and ear drops for treating the same. I would suggest you to consult your doctor without any delay.

3. Your hearing will improve and the dizziness will subside once the infection clears off.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar