question-icon

Suggest treatment for dizziness and headache after a fibroid removal suregry

Posted on Tue, 26 Jul 2016
Question: Hi Mam. I have trouble these days participating in daily routine works.I have having fainting spells at various places.I earlier had fibroid removed in 2014.Later this month I had two episodes of intense headache.I am diabetic and on regular pills and tight control of my sugars.I am having elevated BP.Please suggest a work out and help me get better.Dr XXXXXXX , I forgot to mention, that I have been treated for Depression for 6 months with Tab Nortriptylline.Did that has any implications in my current illness?

Thank you Dr XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Possible Orthostatic hypotension?Need few more tests for confirmation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I can certainly understand your concern.

As per your symptoms, you possibly seem to have Autonomic dysfunction.

Additionally, NORTRIPTYLINE can contribute to some degree of sedation.

Surgical removal of fibroids has no implication in your current illness.

Pertaining to 2 episodes of intense headache, its very important to assess its cause by getting an MRI brain.Further management can be based on this test report.

With regards to fainting spells, possible Orthostatic hypotension might be the leading cause.Autonomic dysfunction can be long term complication of Diabetes.

I advise you to get a tilt table test and an ECHO and ECG tests to rule out cardiac issues of syncope.

Based on test results, if cardiac causes are ruled out and OH is diagnosed then its important to start a short course of FLUDROCORTISONE.

Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these tests and pills to you.

Additionally, I advise you to maintain adequate hydration via 3-4 liters of drinking water every day.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Dr. Prasanna Heijebu