Suggest treatment for diverticulosis and hemorrhoids

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Pressure in colon. Had colonoscopy 1 1/2 yrs ago. Diagnosed with diverticulosis and hemorrhoids. F I ls like I have to move my bowels. Tried probiotics and take fiber and every day. Need relief.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Questions so that I can help:

Detailed Answer:

When did you last have a bowel movement?

Where do you feel the pressure?

You wrote that you are using probiotics and fiber for this problem. What did you take (in terms of fiber or laxatives), how much, and when?

I'll respond with thoughts after I hear back - thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 hours later
I have regular bowel movements. Pressure at rectum. I use benefiber twice a day and a mild laxative approx every 3 days, which seems to illeviate symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this:

Detailed Answer:
It'a possible that you need to move your bowels more often if you feel relief of your symptoms after having a BM. The other thing is, if the pressure is on the rectum, that there might be an enlarged internal hemorrhoid. You mentioned you have hemorrhoids and diverticulosis. It's possible that a hemorrhoid inside has enlarged or become inflamed. I recommend that you go in to see your doctor who can do a digital rectal exam and if necessary, have a look with a clear plastic anuscope (it's like a vaginal speculum only considerably smaller). This can help sort out what is going on and what the next step needs to be.