Suggest treatment for diverticulitis

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi!I awoke at 3:00 this morning with a mild case of Diverticulitis. I have had this several times so I know what this is. Is there something other than taking Antibiotics to cure this. Thank-you
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If you are sure its diverticulitis you have to take the antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I've gone through your details and I appreciate your concerns.

For acute phase of the recurrent diverticulitis antibiotic therapy is required but once the acute phase settles down severe and drastic lifestyle modificatory changes have to be followed by the patient for many months to avoid recurrent attacks. So I'm sorry my dear but if you are sure its diverticulitis then broad spectrum antibiotic have to be taken for 5 to 7 days.

I would suggest you take Clindamycin 600 mg once daily with Metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily for 5 days.They would cover both bacteria as well as protozoa, however, you would need a prescription for the same as antibiotics are not over the counter.

Probiotic etc would help but if its diverticulitis then you have to take antibiotics.

Hope I was helpful. Feel free to ask further.
Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee