• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diverticulitis

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I Have been being treated for diverticulitis, which started over a week ago, but today am experiencing pain on my left side, just above my waist and under my rib cage. Have been having a lot of gas during this time. Was prescribed Metroniazole and Cipro. Had severe reaction to Metro and now only Cipro. Today the pain on my lest side is quite stong. Could this be just a pocket of gas???
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

It is likely that your pain is related to the antibiotics - either from when you took both of them or now just from the Cipro. Left upper quadrant abdominal pain can be pain from the stomach or from part of the large intestine.

If it is gas pain in the large intestine in the left upper quadrant, taking simethicone (Gas X) may help break up the gas. You can buy this over the counter at a drug store.

If it is pain in your stomach, you may need an acid reducer such as Zantac 150 mg twice a day.

Either way, I recommend a probiotic to help counter the negative effects of the antibiotic(s) on your gut flora.

If these don't help, or if the pain is severe and persistent, then it is time to contact your doctor.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh