Suggest treatment for diverticulitis

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I was recently diagnosed with Diverticulitis as of two days ago. I am on 2000 mg of antibiotics a day. I also noted to the doctor that I have a yellow tongue but they dismissed it. Can you tell me what this means? What can I do for this?
Also in my tests , it shows I have scattered cysts in my liver? I don't see a doctor till the 30th of XXXXXXX and I am quite upset

Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diverticulosis is usual in elderly nowadays.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM

I have gone through your query. Diverticulosis is a usual finding in elderly nowadays. It is most likely due to the intake of food containing less/no fiber.

Only when diverticula get infected and inflamed(diverticulitis) there is problem. In such case antibiotics will be needed. If oral antibiotics are not effective then intravenous antibiotics are given.
Taking fiber rich food, probiotics will be helpful for this.

Yellowish tongue or coated tongue can be most likely due to gastritis. Taking proton pump inhibitors like Pantoprazole/Esomeprazole and motility enhancers like domperidone will be helpful to clear this. You can also take vitamin C supplements after food.

Not all cyst in the liver is considered dangerous. If you send your reports it will be more helpful to for me to understand and thus assist you more specifically. You can simply upload/attach the reports here to the reports section of this web page.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 53 minutes later
That's what I don't understand. I eat plenty of fruits and vegtables. I went on Nutisystem 2 months ago to lose weight. Could this cause it? Also I was on high a dosage of Predisone for a month due to a severe case of Poison Oak. Could this have contributed to any of my symptoms? I gave uploaded my reports. Thank you again. I am very scared at this point.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing to worry according to these reports.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow-up.

There is nothing to worry according to these reports. High dose prednisone can be the reason for infection. Antibiotic therapy will be helpful to clear up the present situation. Take high fiber diet. Take plenty of water also.
You should also get a consultation and regular follow up with a gastroenterologist.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Thank you. I haven't been able to sleep. I will follow up with a Gastroenterologist . I am very happy this website exists. It helped put my mind at ease to get a second opinion.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

This is a common condition after 40 years in developing countries. Usually it will be asymptomatic. Only if it is infected antibiotic will be required.
You can take probiotics like sacharomyces boulardii or natural probiotics like properly ripen banana and yogurt.
A proper follow up with gastroenterologist will be helpful to avoid complications.

Let me know if you have any follow up or further queries.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj