Suggest treatment for dissolvable stitch stuck in throat

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 22 Apr 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Dissolvable stitch stuck in throat after wisdom tooth extraction. This is the only problem from the surgery. What can I do to help get rid of it?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is rare to have stitch stuck in the throat, mostly FB sensation

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Read and understood your problem.
The dissolvable stitches may not cause such a problem. It was seemingly used in the closure of the gums. This acts as a foreign body (FB)
My thoughts:
If you / Doctor can see the stitch in the throat, it can simply be removed by the Doctor.
Usually it is swallowed even without a notice; if it is present in the throat, this is the rarest thing to happen.
There is a possibility that if the stitch is not seen, the feeling of a foreign body in the throat is due to granular pharyngitis. This will be seen and confirmed by the Doctor.

Is the stitch seen in the throat ?

I hope this answer helps you. Do not worry. This will not cause any problem.

Please fell free to ask further relevant query if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap-of-communication.
Please give the feedback.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
This is very helpful, thank you so much. I was also wondering too...I have a bad gag reflux for the doctor to possibly get the stitch out. Is there any alternative to getting the stitch out like flushing it down to get it out and will the stitch dissolve and resolve the problem over time? Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is the gag reflex that plays.

Detailed Answer:
Believe me, there may not be a need to remove the thread as it may no be there at all.
The exaggerated gag reflex give the feeling that there is a FB in the throat.
If at all it is there, it will just pass down with food or anything you take orally.
And the stomach acid may just dissolve it if it is in sufficient quantity.

Do not worry, the stitch is most probably not there. You can take 2 bananas which may help to reduce the feeling.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 17 minutes later
Thank you again! You have definitely helped ease my mind. It was just that it had a very sharp feeling to it and was moving around without going down and kept moving to the sides of my throat(especially the left side) but I will keep trying to eat bananas and such to try and get it to go down. I was just worried it will never go down and it doesn't seem like it has reached my stomach yet. It feels like it is mostly in my esophagus and feels like it is scratching the back of my throat. I do have GERD, so maybe that it is affecting it some too. I don't visibly see the stitch so hopefully it is beginning to dissolve more. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate it more than you know.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
GERD: get it properly treated.

The feeling of the thread moving once perceived continues on and you have added problem of GERD. If you can not see the stitch, it may not be there.

Stop worrying at the moment.

(You may please rate this answer before closure of the discussion and can certainly contact me on the bellow link in future, whenever you may need me.
http://bit.ly/askdrtchandrakant )