• question-icon

Suggest treatment for disorientation and dizziness

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Last Saturday I had three brief episodes of disorientation, slight dizziness each from 30 seconds to a minute or two. I was aware of everything around me, able to speak and express thoughts. At the same time I also experienced vivid memories of past events including related odors. I did experience some difficulty remembering some simple things including my own phone number. Still have a slight headache on the left side. I am 62 years old, 6' 2" and 180 lbs. I am taking no medications.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Temporal lobe seizure possible, but anxiety may play a role as well.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Dizziness can have many different causes, related to inner ear, dehydration, low blood pressure, anemia, heart arrhythmia etc commonly due to benign issues unrelated to the brain.
In your case though the association with those vivid memories, odors, the unilateral headache does raise the possibility of brain related seizures. Of course there was no loss of consciousness like in generalized seizures, but there are also focal seizures, related to discharges in a localized brain area, without spreading and losing consciousness. That description could correspond to such seizures, in particular focal seizures originating in the temporal lobe of the brain due to issues like tumor, stroke etc.
Since the symptoms are not specific, commonly found in other situations, may be also due to anxiety, so I don't want you to panic. However I think they are enough to justify a neurological exam for other possible signs you might have missed and if such sign are found, or even if not but episodes recur, tests like brain imaging and EEG.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 50 minutes later
Thank you,
I don't think that anxiety was a factor.
Would it be your recommendation that I schedule an appointment with a neurologist? If so what is the best way to identify a competent one in the Las Vegas area?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Yes it would be my recommendation to schedule an appointment with a neurologist, in particular if the episode is repeated.
As for the question about the way to identify one in the Las Vegas area, it is a little difficult for me because I exercise in Europe where the organisation of the medical system is completely different from the US. I would assume the best way would be either to ask advice from primary physician or to check for the biggest hospital, a university clinic perhaps, which would attract and affiliate the best physicians generally.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist