Suggest treatment for discomfort in the rectal area while suffering from internal hemorrhoids

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Im 42 and Ive had internal hemorrhoids since my late 20's.
I had a colonoscopy about 2 years ago which was normal but still confirmed i had a few small internal hemorrhoids.
Normally they dont bother me but i did have one banded about 8 years ago due to it irritating me. Ive never really had much pain but more of urge to go.
The other day I passed a larger hard stool with a bit of force and it did hurt passing it. Afterward i started noticing that same minor discomfort in rectal area and feeling of needing to go to the bathroom but i actually dont have to go (that annoying feeling is what led me to get my last hemorrhoid banded).
My feces still looks normal( brown, firm, logs) and the urge subsided quite a bit since the initial hard bowel movment but i think coffee may be irritating things as it has come back just a little in the last few days.
Im not a coffee drinker normally but have been having 20 ounce coffee every morning since just before the incident.
I have an appt with proctologist but its 3 weeks out.
Im Kind of stressed so was wondering whats to expect with hemorrhoids. Is that truly likely what this is? I saw my primary doctor last week and asked if i needed another colonoscopy and she said no given i had one 2 years ago that was normal. She also did bloodwork, urinalysis and fecal occult blood test on my visit last week. All were normal.
Are there foods i should avoid?
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms correlate with Hemorrhoids

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

The symptoms that you describe correlate with internal hemorrhoids and probably it is time to do a surgery to remove them. Your proctologist will be able to give a more detailed answer than me (If you need to do a surgery as soon as possible or if you need medical treatment,depending from the grade of hemorrhoids)

I would agree with your physician about the colonoscopy. Since you did one 2 years ago and it was normal, and also the fecal occult blood test was normal I don't see a reason that you need to do this procedure.

You should not be worried, because internal hemorrhoids can be treated easily through surgery. Another symptom is bleeding, or blood in stools, itching and pain.

Here are some advice about your diet to not worsen your hemorrhoids and symptoms:

- fresh fruits and vegetables
- no alcohol, especially red wine
- soften your stool with fiber,whole-grain breads and cereals
- plenty of water
- low fat diet,no fries,no spicy
- do not consume white bread and bagels
- avoid milk,cheese
- avoid frozen meals and fast food
- caffeine (coffee)
- don't use a lot of salt in your meals

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact me.

Hope I have answered your query
Wish you good health

Regards.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee