Suggest treatment for discoid lupus erythematosus
Which medicine to take.
How much time it will take.
Hydrooxychloquine & Topical steroids are the mainline of treatment
Dear XXXXXXX Hi
I appreciate your concern for your beloved wife.
First of all she must be clinically evaluated by a dermatologist before starting the treatment. A base line routine lab tests such as CBC, ESR, Urine examination, Kidney function tests, & anti nuclear antibodies should be done to rule out the possibility of systemic lupus erythemasosis (SLE).
The medications most commonly prescribed for DLE include:
1. Hydroxychloroquine tablet which is usually started at a low dose per day and, if there are no untoward gastrointestinal or other side effects,the dose can be increased to twice a day. It may take between 4 to 8 weeks for any clinical improvement.
2. Topical steroids are the mainstay of treatment of DLE. Usually a potent topical steroid applied twice a day, then switch to a lower-potency steroid as soon as possible.
3. Use of sunscreens & protective clothing and sun exposure should be avoided particularly between 10 AM and 4 PM.
Hope the suggestions given above could be useful in getting her treated.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment for discoid lupus sores
- Can a pimple develop into discoid lupus erythematosus
- Drugs/medication for discoid lupus erythematosus
- Diagnosis of discoid lupus erythematosus
- Discoid lupus erythematosus causes
- Treatment and cure for Lupus erythematosus
- Discoid lupus erythematosus propygenta
- Treatment and cure for discoid lupus erythematosus
- Treatment and cure for discoid lupus
- Symptoms of discoid lupus erythematosus
- Suggest treatment for chronic hepatitis c infection
- Are marks on the inner thighs indicative of herpes?
- Can Betacap-Tr, Nurokind-LC, Mobizox-5000, Ultracet and Rivotril be...
- What causes pain on left side of lower back?
- Suggest treatment for metastatic colon cancer which is not responding to...
- What causes abdominal pain while sitting?
- Suggest treatment for palmar hyperhidrosis
- What causes lose motion and dizziness while walking in elderly?
- What causes bleeding from penis?
- Can Ascoril expectorant cough syrup cause false positive in a drug test?