Suggest treatment for disc prolapse

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello sir,
My mother have slip disc problem at L3-L4, treatment carry out at XXXXXXX but not satisfied with outcome. Please suggest from where we get specealised treatement to get this problem cured.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Your mother is having a disc prolapse. The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem. Surgery is kept as a last resort to improve the quality of life of the patient.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with her symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from her orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. She can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Epidural steroid injections have been used if oral pain killers are not very effective and surgical treatment is not considered. Discuss with your orthopedician or a neurologist and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs.
II

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal