Suggest treatment for disc herniation

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Hi Doctor,

I am suffering from Disc Herniation from last about 4 years. you can see my attached MRI report for the same issue.

Some of my Details:

> I am from service class so used to sit for 9 hours.
> I am overweight (92 kg, height 5.8)
> Age 28

Symptoms: Lower Back Pain, Numbness in both legs, etc. after 5-8 minutes walking/Standing, Early morning Cramps in leg

My doctor suggested me to go for Psychotherapy.

My Questions:

1. I doubt wheather it will be treated through Psychotherapy or there is requirement of Surgery?

2. Do you suggest any Exercise which can help me out for this?

3. I am not taking any Medicines suggested by Doctor as i have searched things on google and observed that Medicines cannot help to recover this issue

Please see ky attached report and suggest me with above questions

Thanks
XXXXXXX
0000
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI report is not attached.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

I have noted your symptoms and can understand your concern. The good news that surgery is really needed in only 10% of cases.

Your MRI spine report has not got attached. Please re-upload it here, and I would be pleased to advise you regarding medicines, and other forms of treatment which is best for you.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for disc herniation 1 hour later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Surgery may be needed in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I have noted your MRI spine reports and also saw the images.

In my opinion, you would require surgery for permanent relief from symptoms. Surgery should be done by a neurosurgeon, and not an orthopaedic surgeon.

If you are not ready for surgery due to some reasons, then, medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin would be helpful in relieving the symptoms.

Exercises such as back extension exercises (learnt under the guidance of a physiotherapist) would also help.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for disc herniation 11 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for very straight forward answers..

I have two more questions:-

1: What if i don't go with Surgery for next 6 months? i mean what will be the Consequences ?
2: How Critical my case is please explain a bit more.
3: What about Psychotherapy i mean how much helpful is this in my case?
4: Approximate cost of surgery? and how much days rest will be required after surgery?
5: How much % of chances of getting succesful Surgery? will there be chances of getting this issue again even after Surgery?

i know Doctor i am asking so many questions but i had these questions in my mind from a long time.

Would appreciate your response in bit detailed.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My replies are below:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back and my replies are below. I will try my best to give you clear-cut answers:

1. If you do not go for surgery, your current symptoms would remain or in some cases, they may get more severe.

2. Your case is not critical as such. However, these symptoms would hamper your quality of life, and also your work. I mean this condition is not lethal, and also does not cause any major disability.

3. Physiotherapy would partly help in relieving the symptoms. This includes IFT, ultrasound, traction, etc. Also, back extension exercises are part of this.

4. Surgery costs about 1.5 to 2 lakhs in XXXXXXX One week hospital stay and one week rest at home is needed.

5. 95% of surgeries for this disease are successful. If the surgery is done well, this would not recur. However, as I said, it fails in 5% people and may recur.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for disc herniation 43 minutes later
Many Thanks Doctor for providing very Detailed and Direct answers to my queries

I really appreciate the way you responded. I will see what i can do regarding my Surgery

Thanks Again
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you and best wishes,

I would be pleased to be of help in future too, if needed.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)