Suggest treatment for difficulty in walking in a person suffering from vertigo

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have difficulty walking straight. I cannot stand still on one foot. I could not walk on a beam without falling. I had vertigo before...I could not walk but it was OK in a few days. I have a lot of the symptoms enumerated here. What can I do to improve my situation
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Another possible vertigo episode to get further checked...

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxx,

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

1. You are saying to have difficulty walking straight. Do you feel: lightheaded? room spinning around?

2. You are also reporting to have vertigo before. It could be another episode of vertigo that needs further evaluation now:
- ENT examination to rule out inner ear problems
- monitor your blood pressure and blood sugar levels, record the results for future reference
- get an X-ray of the spinal cord (neck area) to rule out spondyloarthrosis which can be another potential cause

3. For the moment (until you see an ENT specialist and run the above-mentioned tests), I advise to:
- avoid walking or moving if you have difficulty/or spinning sensation
- you need to start prescription betahistine orally to dominate the symptoms
- take oral anti-inflammatory medications

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana