Suggest treatment for difficulty in urination, constipation and numbness

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am contacting you on behalf of my dad. His situation is as follows. October He started having trouble urinating. Since then He has had a catheter put in twice and was told they were planning on shrinking his prostate. He has been on meds to help with that. But now He is having trouble with bowels . He is getting constipated. Now numbness is occurring . They want to schedule scans. Does the treatment and timing seem accurate.? He has never had health issues before and is79 years old.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs ultrasound prostate and PSA levels

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your father had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, he needs to be reviewed again by the urologist and get fresh CT or ultrasound prostate and fresh PSA levels and alkaline phosphatase to rule out any evidence of more agressive prostatic issues.

A digital rectal examination by a surgeon may also be done to rule out any compression on the rectum or any signs of impacted stools. Stool softeners like lactulose can help with constipation however for prostatic symptoms, tamsulosine may be helpful.

Wishing him a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad