Suggest treatment for difficulty concentrating and anxiety

Psychiatrist
Question
I had staph sepsis in march. I am pretty much recovered now, but continue to have some cogniyive problems such as difficulty concentrating, irritability, anxiety and memory problems. will this get better on it's own, or do I need some kind of help.I am supposed to have some neuropsychological testing done before I return to work. I don't feel I am safe to return to work with the cognitive problems I am having, which cause even more anxiety. I don't know what to do. could you recommend a specific type of doctor that could help me?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Psychologist can help you for sure

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, Myself Dr. Chintan Solanki.
You seems to be suffering from Neurocognitive disturbance secondary to general medical condition.
There may be two reasons of these symptoms. Either sepsis had affected overall body function of yours and due to physical stress and depletion of nutrition you are facing these problem.
Second thing is sepsis has directly affected some brain part and disturbance is secondary to that.
You need to go to some psychiatrist with all records of medicines and investigations of your sepsis history.
After examination doctor will decide that you should undergone NeuroPsychological testing for cognitive functions or MRI brain.
You should get treatment in form of counseling-psychotherapy and some anti anxiety-antidepressant medicines as well as multivitamins containing methylfolate.
I hope you will get well soon.
Thanks & Regards. All the best.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for difficulty concentrating and anxiety 44 hours later
Thank you for this answer. I feel this is good advice. I am concerned that I won't be able to effectively return to my current position as a RN in a med/surg setting. I feel I am not as "sharp" as I was prior to the sepsis. I feel irritable amost all of the time and I get frustrated more easily than I used to. I have trouble "finding my words" frequently, much like I do prior to coming down with a migraine. Does this sound more like anxiety or depression?

I will check my MTV for methylfolate. Do most multi-vit's contain this?

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most MTV not contain.And u can be normal as before

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX welcome back.
Yes symtoms you described sound like depression and anxiety disorder. But for exact diagnosis, require personal consultation and history. However it is not condition which will prevent you from getting back to yourself. I guess you can be back on the track after treatment of above problem, you just need to follow consulting doctor/psychiatrist's advice. Counselling and medicines both will help.

Most of the multivitamin contains vitamin B12 in form of methylcobylamine or cynocobylamine not in methylfolate form. Methylfolate specifically used in neurological and psychiatric conditions.
Injection of Vit. B12 can be quite helpful of you do not want to take medicines for long.

So relax,keep patience, visit a psychiatrist; narrate your situation. Discuss what we have discussed through this forum and start the treatment and get rid of the problem.

Wish you early recovery and healthy life.
Regards.
And yes, if still any doubt, you are welcome to ask.TC.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for difficulty concentrating and anxiety 25 hours later
I am also having increased arthritic pain in my right shoulder and knee post-sepsis. could this be reactive arthritis? My last sed rate was 9 and my c-reactive protein was WNL. But my shoulder has become so painful that I find myself using my left hand/arm for most activities when I am right handed. My MD injected the joint 1 week ago and it has not helped.

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fot that orthopedic will be the best guide

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
For your shoulder and knee pain, these joins shoild be examined thoroughly. If needed x-ray and ultrasound may be suggested by docotr.Thede pain seems not to be reactive as investigations are normal.But considering your age other arthritis should be ruled out. If it was due to sepsis, it should have gone with antibiootic.
So consult an orthopedic doctor soon.
Thanks and get well soon.