Suggest treatment for difficulty breathing and cough at night
I would explain as follows:
Welcome on HCM!
Regarding your concern, I would explain that facing your dad's clinical scenario it is necessary to get through a differential diagnosis.
Difficulty breathing and coughing especially at night may be an expression of:
(1) heart failure; in such case a careful physical exam, a resting ECG (for confirming/excluding a possible arrhythmia or ischemic changes); chest X ray study (for investigating lung overload with fluids), and especially a cardiac ultrasound (for etimating cardiac structure and function) would be the rationale approach in properly addressing the health situation.
Confirming heart failure diagnosis would lead to appropriate therapy with diuretics and vasodilators.
(2) acute respiratory infection/or exacerbation of a chronic broncho-pulmonary disorder. Coming to this point, it is necessary to perform some additional lab tests (complete blood count, PCR, arterial blood gas analysis, liver and renal function tests, blood electrolytes level, chest X ray study, etc).
Antibiotics and bronchial dilators would be of great heal in relieving this situation.
You need to discuss with his attending physician on the above mentioned issues.
Hope you will find my answer helpful.
In case of any further uncertainties, do not hesitate to ask me again.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sudden random episodes of coughing difficulty breathing causes and treatment
- Difficulty breathing and coughing
- Treatment and cure for difficulty breathing headache
- Indegestion cough difficulty breathing
- Treatment and cure for Difficulty breathing
- Heartburn difficulty breathing burps suggestions
- Difficulty breathing compression in chest cough taking antibiotics treatment
- Toddler difficulty breathing at night
- Treatment for child s nosebleed difficulty breathing and cough
- Treatment for difficulty breathing and chest tightness