Suggest treatment for difficult painful swallowing

Question
Hi my name is XXXXX I have a virus in my mouth not just that it hurts on the side whan I shallow it hurts a little bit am worried it is not whan I shallow it is on my side you now where my ear is it is not there can you give me some helpful tips on how to get my virus gone can you tall me what to have like tea or something
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Lizabeth Sloane 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take anti-inflammatories. Need more details.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic. I am glad to offer you assistance.
I would like you to take some anti-inflammatory medication such as Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Avoid all irritants such as smoking, alcohol, spicy and acidic foods. If you feel an increase in swelling, take the antihistamine Benadryl. Rinse with warm salt water.
I would like to know what other symptoms you are experiencing? Why are you stating that you have a virus? Viruses often need to run a course and can only be treated symptomatically. You could have a bacterial or fungal infection that may respond to prescription medication. You need to stop the spread of an infection and your description makes me voncerned that the effects are spreading. You could have an allergic reaction that needs you to stop using a particular product or stop eating a particular food. Your medical and dental history would be helpful to allow me to give you further recommendations. Do you have any teeth that may be causing an infection to spread? There are a number of oral conditions that can cause discomfort and specific details are needed to assist you further. Please see a dentist to exam your mouth for an infection diagnosis and your physician if you suspect a respiratory complication.
I am available to review additional details and look forward to hearing back from you.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for difficult painful swallowing 6 hours later
Hi I can feel it in my mouth I have a bad cold sure and it hurts really bad it is swollen up bad it hurts whan I shallow

Answered by Dr. Lizabeth Sloane 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prescription medications decrease pain, takes time

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to assist you further. Thank you for contacting me with additional details.
If you have a cold sore with a great deal of discomfort, Abreva is a medication that shortens the healing time. It is most effective when used early. It may not be effective this time, but keep some available for a reoccurring episode.
Prescription anesthetic gels, to alleviate pain, are available for intense pain.
Now you will need to see a your dentist or oral surgeon for a prescription to reduce your discomfort. If the anti-inflammatory medications are not offering relief A "Magic Mouth" compound rinse may help you with a combination of an anesthetic, pain and anti-inflammatory medications.
Prescription antiviral medicines available for treatment include acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex).
Viral conditions commonly persist for 7-10 days.
How long has this sore are been present?
Does it appear to be changing? Have you had this experience before?
Viruses can reoccur in the same location.

Apthous ulcers are a possible diagnosis. Again, they need time to heal, but should heal in aperiod less than two weeks.
They may be stress induced.
Avoid all irritants as I have already suggested.
Chlorhexdine rinses may also reduce the pain and prevent the sores from becoming infected.
Steroid lozenges such as Betnesol® tablets may reduce the pain, and may help ulcers to heal if used early on. Gels such as benzocaine offer temporary relief if applied to the sore area.
Continue to monitor the area. If healing does not occur or symptoms become severe, seal medical attention quickly.
Unresponsive sores located along the back border of the tongue will need to be studied with a biopsy.
A tumor or cancerous condition would be a risk, particularly in this location.
Thank you for your inquiry. I hope you will experience healing and start to feel better soon. I am glad to assist with any updates on your condition. Please ask additional questions if you have any additional information to share or close this session if you are now satisfied and healing with my suggestions.