Suggest treatment for difference in left and right side bones and muscles

Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I am 27 years old and I am real concerned with my bone health... The left side of my body has longer bones, weaker muscles & bones whereas my right side is smaller but bones/muscles feel strong and sturdy... What does this mean? It almost feels like muscle is hanging off my bones whenever I make a muscle or "flex". I've done all measurements and my foot, knee, thigh, torso, neck and head are all slightly larger than my right side.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need investigate like CPK blood level, EMG-NCV

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per your history there is possibility of cerebral palsy mild variety or muscular dystrophy.
You may need investigate like CPK blood level, EMG-NCV [nerve conduction study].
I will advise to consult orthopaedic surgeon for clinical examination and further investigation.
Due to reduced tone there can be flabby XXXXXXX on muscles.
Due to altered vascular supply there can be relative discrepancy on left and right side of body.
You interpretation may not be significant.

Hope this helps. Wish you speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 29 minutes later
What would exactly would they do in a clinical examination? Would the clinical examination determine which condition I have or would they also need blood work?
And an orthapaedic surgeon is the specialist to see for this matter?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

By neurological examination they will asses muscle tone ,reflex,power,sensation,compare both sides.

Yes they may require blood if its not cerebral palsy.

Yes orthopaedic surgeon is specialist for that,you can also consult neurophysician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad