Suggest treatment for diarrhoea in a child

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 6week old he is posing watery stool 10 times in a day for last 4days I have checked it from pead today he is given injection ivimicin 80 mg at 10am after that he is possing stool 2time in small quantity and after gas is passed he poo little he is also giving entrogermina and gastrica drop and vallamycin what to do

Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need for any medications

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

I completely understand your concerns but don't worry. Infants are prone to wide variations in colour, frequency and consistency of poops. 10-15 poops are perfectly fine if your baby is feeding well, active, alert and gaining weight. Just continue exclusive breastfeeding. Breast feed has antibodies which can fight many gut infections.

In case your baby is formula fed, then take care about proper dilution and hygiene. Avoid unsterile bottles, pacifier, ghutti, gripe water.

There is absolutely no need for any injectable or oral antibiotics unless and until your baby shows following symptoms:
1. Blood and mucus in stools
2. Poor feeding and persistent vomiting episodes
3. Signs of sepsis on blood examination ( Blood test needed only for sick kids who are lethargic, febrile, with poor appetite)

If your baby has no other symptoms, then kindly stop the treatment and just ensure regular feeds.

Hopefully this will help you. I would be happy to help you in any further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 8 minutes later
Dr can we do a course of ivimicin inj tomorrow he call to us there is any side effect of inj he is gaining weight his poo is green in color and like runny nose he is on breast feed other wise he is healthy and wet dipper 8to 10 in aday
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics not needed at all

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There is absolutely no need to continue antibiotics. Just ensure regular breastfeeding. Avoid any other oral fluids such as water, honey, gripe water, other milk. Feed from one breast completely before changing side. This will ensure both foremilk or thin milk (rich in water and lactose) and hindmilk or thicker milk ( rich in proteins and fats). Green poops will improve when baby receives enough hind milk. Running nose will also improve in the next few days without any medication.

If your baby passes urine 6-8 times in 24 hours, it means that he is well hydrated.

Unnecessary use of antibiotics is strongly against ethical pediatric practice as it may lead to antibiotic resistance.

Hopefully this will help you.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma 4 hours later
Madam my baby posses stool after feeding and normely at evening and in morning some time it posses 3four stool in a row is this normal or we can do something can this problem subside after few month or it continue is this something wrong with my baby
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It will improve spontaneously as baby will grow

Detailed Answer:
Don't worry at all. It's a perfectly normal pattern seen in many babies in early infancy. This pattern improves gradually as baby grow older I.e. by 6 months of age in almost 90% cases. It doesn't need any treatment. Breastfeeding is the most important thing which you need to continue exclusively till 6 months of age. Your baby will do perfectly fine.
Antibiotics for such normal variations is strongly forbidden, so hold them.