Suggest treatment for diarrhea

Posted on Tue, 22 Apr 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Diarrhea for almost a week. Have blood test and stool sample results - need someone to analyze. Went for sushi Wednesday night, rushed home and immediately had diarrhea. Was up all night with very sore stomach. Threw up once during the middle of the night and had diarrhea again in the morning. The next day (Thurs) felt pretty good but still sore stomach. Friday morning had diarrhea again (just once) and sore stomach for most of the day. Saturday felt pretty good - no bowel movements, stomach still sore. Sunday had diarrhea just once. Monday felt bad and was on the toilet many times (maybe 5-6 times with diarrhea). Tuesday felt good - slight stomach paid and one normal solid bowel movement. Wednesday (today) - worst yet. On the toilet all day - I drink water and within 15 minutes I am on the toilet with explosive diarrhea. Many many times. Got blood and stool samples today around noon (now 5pm) - need someone to analyze and suggest treatment. No fever, low energy and low appetite but generally feel OK except for very upset stomach.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Causes to acute diarrhea... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query carefully and feel sorry for the situation you are in. Blastocystis hominis is commonly found in the stool of healthy and sick patients. So, to my opinion, your symptoms are not related to blastocystis infection. Please bare in mind that such infection can be present in immuno-compromised patients. You are reporting diarrhea for almost one week, which is triggered by eating sushi. This makes me feel about : - food malabsorption (as per your lab results) - food poisoning. I advise to: - take plenty of fluids (especially water) and OTC ORS to prevent dehydration - take tasectan to stop diarrhea - take probiotics to optimize intestinal flora - avoid fatty/sugary foods until improvement. If the symptoms will not reverse within another week, should consult your physician to prescribe specific treatment. Hope it helped! Let me know if you have further questions! Dr.Klerida
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist