• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea while on Phenytoin

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hey XXXXXXX its tim vandevoirde again i woke up at sixthirty again and had to rush to the bathroom and i had diarhrheea i made it to the toilet ok i think i had too many nuts could thst be the cause,im ok otherwise i take phenytoin and pheno barbitol to prevent seizures and tamsolosin for my prostate and lizoliprol for high blood pressure i havent had a seizure in over 20 years that is my medical history up to date the incision from my surgery is still healing fine although its taking a long time to do it the diarheea, and soft stool i have been having is a side affect from the surgery the side affect is lasting too long in my opinion what do you think i think it should have ended a month ago
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Did the diarrhea start shortly after the surgery?
And what was the surgery for?
How long has the surgery being going on?
How often are you having to have BMs?
Are you having any fevers or abdominal pain?

For some operations, a prophylactic antibiotic is given in the pre-op and during the surgery. Sometimes after the surgery too. Sometimes antibiotics can throw off the balance of good and bad bacteria in the gut.

If you have been on the same medications for seizure control, blood pressure, and for your prostate, for a long time, then it is less likely to be caused by one of them.

Please see the 5 questions I have for you above - thank.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh