Suggest treatment for diarrhea when pulse rate is between 115 and 120

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: I have had a stomach virus all day with diarrhea. Been in bed all day too. I checked my blood pressure and my heart rate is between 115 to 120 rpm. Is this normal.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Higher pulse not good, need to go to hospital/ER urgently.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your question here.

Diarrhea can cause severe dehydration which leads to precipitous fall in blood pressure. This is initially compensated by increasing the heart rate.

In my opinion, you are currently in that compensated state, but this will worsen with further episodes of diarrhea and once the blood volume reduces beyond a certain point, the compensatory mechanisms will not be sufficient and you will suddenly go into a shock.

So I urge you to call 911 or an ambulance at once and go to an ER without delay.

You will need intravenous fluids to bring up the blood volume urgently.

Meanwhile, please keep drinking water / Oral rehydration solution.

I hope that answers your query, please feel free to write back to me if you have additional questions, however, I would urge you to go to an ER urgently, and update me once everything is fine.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Best regards
Dr. Yogesh D