• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea when diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Yes, I am having severe diarrhea started off and on about 4 months ago. Discovered an an increasing allergy to onion. Stopped it even in small amounts. That helped. However I just moved to Alabama, with my son and family. They have a really nice house. However, the diarrhea came back even worse. I tried clear liquids, with a slight improvement. Then I added jello, that was ok. I began to wonder about the water. At one time I couldn't drink well water, even though the rest of the family could. They have a filter on the refrigerator, but I added another layer. That was better and I thought that was the problem. I added soft boiled eggs and cottage cheese , and some days it was better. However, this week has been bad. It is always total liquid. Today has been the worse, I've had it four times. I have only had clear liquids. My temperature goes up and down. Today it is over a hundred. I'm sorry this is so long , but I don't have a Dr. Here. I had a complete intestinal workup about three years ago due to severe anemia. It was considered that I had irritation in my upper gastric area and wasn't absorbing iron. I was treated, and did fine. I take Prolesic. sp ?. Anyway, I don't know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely its irritable bowel syndrome and not just normal diarrhoea.

Detailed Answer:
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a very common disorder which affects the colon . It causes constipation, diarrhea, gas, bloating, abdominal pain and cramping. Irritable bowel syndrome is usually long term and patients often complains that problem is there recurrent from
many months.
What causes irritable bowel bowel
Foods- Many people have severe symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome when they consume certain things such as alcohol, carbonated beverages, milk, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beans, fruits, fats, spices and chocolates.
Stress- Most people who have irritable bowel syndrome find that their symptoms worsen and are more frequent during periods of extreme stress.

In IBS there is some problem in the functional ability of the gut that leads to the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. The structure of the intestines is normal, only functional abnormality occurs in this condition.So frankly speaking (IBS) represents a functional disorder of gastrointestinal tract without the presence of an anatomic defect.

Further data indicate that according to the above mechanisms, the influence of genetic factors and polymorphisms of human DNA in the development of IBS is equally important.

Natural tip-
Asafoetida

Intestinal gas, upset stomach, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and irritable colon are all symptoms easily treated by this medicine

Food suggestions-
Eat a moderate amount of soluble fiber. It adds bulk to your stools. Good sources are whole wheat breads, oats, barley, brown rice, whole-grain pasta, the flesh of fruit (not the skin), and dried fruits.
Don't eat foods at opposite temperatures, such as ice-cold water and steaming hot soup, in the same meal.
Stay away from broccoli, onions, and cabbage. They cause gas, which can make you feel worse.
Eat smaller portions.
Drink water an hour before or after meals.
Antispasmodic medicines, such as mebeverine hydrochloride (eg Colofac) and peppermint oil capsules may help your abdominal pain and wind. Again, speak to your GP if you find you need to use these regularly.
Antidiarrhoea medicines, such as loperamide (eg Imodium), may help. But don’t take them for more than five days in a row without your doctor’s advice.

Medicines recommended for you-
Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic drug.An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. Anticholinergics inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells.

Mebeverine is an antispasmodic medicine and is very useful in IBS and is well tolerated by patient with minimal side effects. Mebeverine works on certain muscles in the wall of your intestines, causing them to relax.

Clidinium bromide is an anticholinergic (specifically a muscarinic antagonist) drug. It may help symptoms of frequent stools.

Chlordiazepoxide works by increasing the action of GABA, a chemical messenger which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.Can be used in combination with above mentioned medicines.

You need to consult gastroenterologist and discuss these things.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 13 hours later
Other than Imodium, which medications are sold over the counter. I have been taking too much Imodium, and need to find something else. I am waiting to hear if I will be accepted by a local Dr. I appreciate your help.
Thanks, xxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Tak Dicyclomine 10 mg tablets four times a day.
Or you could do for a better combination(highly effective) named-Clidinium (2.5mg), Chlordiazepoxide (5mg), Dicyclomine (10mg) a combination of three should be taken thrice daily before food.If nopt available in combnation then ask your GP to prescribe them seperately in doses mentioned above.

They are far superior to loperamide.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist