Suggest treatment for diarrhea when diagnosed with collagenous colitis

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Use of Secnidazole

I am a male 48 years old 6'2" 198 lbs. Recently I was on a mission trip in Guatemala with a group. Since the return most of the group has come back with on-going diarrhea. My wife did as well and she went to her doctor and they prescribed Flagyl for a week. It worked. I developed symptoms a couple of weeks after my wife but since I also have Collagenous Colitis, I wasn't sure of the cause of my diarrhea, as it could be a colitis flare up. I currently take pepto daily for the colitis and Endocort on occasion as needed.

I went to a doctor and explained all this to her and she gave me Flagyl for a week as well. I have been off of it for two weeks and I still have diarrhea in varying degrees. A friend who went to Guatemala with me said the doctor there prescribes Secnidazole (2g) - 1 dose for giardiasis. Is it okay for me to take? I also take Lisinopirl (10mg) for mild hyper tension, 81mg aspirin, probiotics, Allopurinol (300mg) to reduce uric acid to prevent Gout.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. I understand your concern here

Detailed Answer:
The problem here is that you haven't had a stool sample for cultures and sensitivities to determine if there is an infection present and what the organism involved is.

Normally, I would treat you with a combination of Cipro and Flagyl and not just the Flagyl alone.

Instead of treating yourself with the Secnidazole I strongly suggest you revisit your doctor and hopefully she'll get the stool culture studies to see if you need another round of medication, and, if so, what the most appropriate medication(s) would be.

Please let me know if you need any more information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Thank you for the reply Dr. Chambers. I will follow up with the doctor for the stool sample.

Regarding the Collagenous Colitis - do you prescribe anything other than Endocort for Collagenous Colitis and do you know if the Lisinopril or Aspirin have been known to cause Collagenous Colitis?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi again

Detailed Answer:
The aspirin and other anti-inflammatories can cause or exacerbate collagenous colitis, but not lisinopril.

As for treatment, I usually prescribe steroids like endocort for exacerbations like your doctor.