Suggest treatment for diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite and abdominal pain

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: MY WIFE WENT TO BED AROUND 1:00 FRIDAY MORNING. SHE SHORTLY STARTED VOMITING THROUGH OUT THE NIGHT. SHE STAYED IN BED ALL DAY FRIDAY WITH ON/OFF VOMITING.
SHE WAS ABLE TO SLEEP ON AND OFF AT TIMES BUT WOULD WAKE UP WITH DRY HEAVES.
SHE REPEATED THIS SATURDAY THROUGH THIS MONDAY MORNING THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT.
SHE IS STILL IN BED NAUSEOUS AND DRY HEAVES.
NO ABDOMINAL PAIN. HASN'T EATEN ANYTHING DIFFERENT THURSDAY NIGHT.
SHE HAS STOPPED SMOKING THE FIRST OF JANUARY.
SHE HAD A COCKTAIL AT HOME HOURS BEFORE GETTING SICK THURSDAY EVENING.
WE ARE BOTH RN'S.
SHE WORKS IN AN OFFICE WITH NO PATIENT CONTACT.
ABDOMIN IS SOFT. HYPOACTIVE. NO DIARRHEA OR CONSTIPATION. DECREASED APPITITE.
BP 138/62 PULSE 88 RESP RATE 18
SKIN SLIGHTLY DIAPHERERTIC AND WARM
NO CHILLS OR FEVER.
URINATION NORMAL

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gastroenteritis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query!
Have noted all your details.

Most likely it is Gastroenteritis or Stomach flu. Gastroenteritis, is inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract that involves the stomach and small intestine. Signs and symptoms include combination of diarrhea, vomiting,loss of appetite abdominal pain. Fever, lack of energy, and dehydration may also occur. However it is not necessary that all symptoms are present in every patient.Ultra sound scan of abdomen should be done. A stool routine and microscopy should also be done to rule out the if bacterial infection is there or not.
Our gut consists of its own environment of micro organism called gut flora.They are responsible for proper digestion of food.Once this flora is deplished by toxins released by bacteria many of G.I symptoms like bloating belching vomiting constipation loss of appetite etc can be there.
i would suggest you to take a good probiotic for 1 week. This will again replenish the depleted flora. Once the flora is replenished intestinal motility and secretions will be improved. Tablet Pantoprazole (40mg once daily before breakfast) can be taken along with it to provide relief.Drink a lot of fluid and electrolytes to replenish the level in blood.

Apart from medicines some suggestions are-

Drink a lots of XXXXXXX warm water.
Eat a lot of fiber in diet 30-40 gram per day.
Have ispaghula husk 2 tsf twice daily.
Drink a lot of orange juice and coconut water.
Eat lot of vegetable and fibrous fruits like oranges and pears.
No smoking or alcohol.
No burger, pizza, over fried or spicy food.
Take lots of yogurt in diet.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad