Suggest treatment for diarrhea, stomach pain, IBS and body weakness

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: suffering from loose motions ,stomach pain, and ibs and weekness since two days. there no progress
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It may take 2-3 days to subside loose motions.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

I have read your query and understand the concern.

From your symptoms, you seem to be having acute infective diarrhea considering your loose stools with stomach pain.

Your weakness could be due to loss of water and electrolytes (sodium,potassium mainly) from the body.

So,before starting medications,it would be advisable to undergo routine blood counts,ESR,urine and stool tests with serum electrolytes especially sodium and potassium.

Generally,it might take 48 to 72 hours to subside loose motions following appropriate antibiotics and other symptomatic medications.

Therefore,you should

1) continue with ofloxacin with ornidazole antibiotic for at least 4 to 5 days with

2) antiemetic (ondasetron) if you feel nausea or vomiting,

3) antispasmodics (dicyclomine) if abdominal pain or discomfort twice or thrice daily.

4) prebiotics and probiotics (sporolac-DS) with racecadotril sachets with water 3 to 4 times a day to restore intestinal bacterial flora.

5) Take plenty of water with fruit juices (especially coconut water) to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance in body.

6) Avoid heavy diet and take light or liquid diet for minimum 3 to 5 days.

7) Lopamide (Loperamide hydrochloride) can be taken 2 to 3 times a day which actually slows the movement of the intestines.

This allows water to be absorbed from the stool, so the stool becomes more firm.

All above medications are available over the counter except antibiotic and it might take 2 to 3 days to control watery motions.

Hope this detailed information will be helpful and i will be happy to answer if you need more clarification.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj