Suggest treatment for diarrhea, nausea and stomach cramps

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've had diarrhea, nausea off and on for 10 days now. I also have stomach cramps. I had an ultrasound of my stomach and it was normal. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dear patient you are having Gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Most likely you are suffering from Gastroenteritis.It is an intestinal infection marked by diarrhoea, cramps, nausea, vomiting and fever.However its not necessary that all symptoms are there in a single patient.Depending on the cause, viral gastroenteritis symptoms may appear within one to three days after you're infected and can range from mild to severe. Symptoms usually last just a day or two, but occasionally they may persist as long as 10 days.

Treatment-

Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration–You need to drink more than usual to replace the fluids lost from vomiting and diarrhoea. Water is best, but you could also try fruit juice and soup.
Take paracetamol for any fever or aches and pains.
Get plenty of rest.
If you feel like eating, try small amounts of plain foods, such as soup, rice, pasta and bread.
Use special rehydration drinks made from sachets electral solution to maintain depleted electrolyte levels in serum.
Take anti-vomiting medication (such as zofran 4 mg twice daily ) and antidiarrhoeal medication (such as loperamide upto 16 mg a day) .
As already 10 days have passed its better to take 3 days antibiotic and anti protozoal course.
Tab Ofloxacin 200 mg twice a day(9a.m-9 p.m)
Tab Metronidazole 400 mg twice daily(9a.m-9p.m)

You would need a prescription.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist