Suggest treatment for diarrhea in infants

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My baby 11 month old ,always suffer from loose motion
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Watery diarrhoea - Probably viral origin

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better and in this age the kids keep everything in the mouth as they have teething, so it is bound to recur. there is not medicine which an prevent diarrhoea completely and the best possible way is keeping the child's toys and hands clean all the time, which is impossible. There is a vaccine called Rota virus vaccine. I do not know if you have given it already. But if you have not given, he is out of the age to give it. Please do not give it now.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.
There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as advised by your paediatrician).

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D