• question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea in a child

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 2 years girl child having problem of loose motion since week
Pls. suggest a better medicine for her
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your child is suffering from diarrhea. It could be due to contaminated food or improper hand hygiene.

The mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution). Unless the lost salts and fluids are replenished the child would become dehydrated. The urine output needs to be monitored. If the frequency comes down it indicates dehydration and calls for additional supplementation of fluids. But if the child becomes lethargic you would need to take the child to a hospital without delay. The cause is self-limiting and does not need to be treated with antibiotics unless the stool is blood stained.

Give zinc supplements like Zinconia Syr 5 ml once daily for the next 10 days. You need not worry. It should gradually return back to normal. Also give curd or yogurt since it contains plenty of beneficial bacteria and should help. Alternatively you can give some probiotics like Enterogermina.

The loose stools may persist for 2-4 days before it resolves. Please be patient. Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician